Friday, January 26, 2007

I Love Buttons

I am really into buttons at the moment. I managed to spend about £14 on buttons at the knitting and stitching show. In fact I need a new button tin, as I can't close the lid anymore. I like to get the buttons out every so often, just to look at. However, collecting buttons can be quite expensive, so the other night I made my own!!! They're made from fimo. I think I'm hooked. I'm going to see if I can borrow my Dad's pasta making machine, so I can get a nice even thickness (I am currently using the kids play dough rolling pin).


Also this week, I have got back into felting after the post Christmas craft rest. Here's a WIP, not the best of photo's I'm afraid. When it's finished I'll have to model it, my vintage dress maker's dummy just doesn't wear it well. I am planning to add a big chunky collar and maybe some sleeves. It's a merino and silk blend, felted onto cotton scrim (with silk filament on the surface for subtle texture). It started off as one piece, which I cut arm holes in, then I wore it in front of a mirror and armed with tailors chalk worked out where to trim and sew. When I started I had no idea what style it would be, I just experimented with different ways of wearing a rectangle of felt until I had made my mind up, it was very nearly a V neck waistcoat with big lapels.

5 comments:

Marina Sokolova said...

beautiful buttons :)

artyfartykat said...

Love the buttons! Did you use a cutter, they look so precise.
The waistcoat is beautiful.

feltedfibers said...

Isn't it great when we felters start out making a "peice of felt" with no idea of finished design? it's just as if the felt is talking to us and we pull, shape and somtimes snip just here and there and viola - an original creation is born. This is beautiful, would love to meet up with you one day.

Anonymous said...

Thats a beautifully tailored coat, the button is perfect for it. I've never attempted such a large piece.

Feltbug said...

This is very beautiful - I love the colour, shape and the button !