Thursday, January 18, 2007

The tooth fairy has been busy

I'm going to write a quick post whilst my little lad is distracted with toys!!! Here's some work in progress. My brother gave me a lino cutting set a while back (I think I'd originally bought it for him as a present, but it never got used). As I have managed to keep up with my sketch book entry a day, I have a lot of ideas on paper and not just swimming around my head as usual. So I thought I'd transfer one to lino, I think it's worked quite well, I have only ever done a little lino cutting before, with fairly poor results (many years ago). I wanted a design that would repeat as I am keen to get back into textile design again this year ( that's what I did at university). The lino needs tweaking a bit, I would like a cleaner background. When the oil paint eventually dries I am going to experiment with painting over the top. By the way, does anyone out there know how long oil paint takes to dry? I am not a very patient person, and I think it's been a week already!! I did a lot of prints on different surfaces, and they are dotted around all over the place.

Here's a book I purchased recently, 'Fashioning fabric, contemporary textiles in fashion'. I've not begun to read it yet, but there are some great photographs. It's all about textiles within the fashion industry, as you probably guessed from the title. They focus on different designers such as Issey Miyake, John Galliano and Carla Fernandez. I was really pleased to see some felting in there, with the work of Anne Maj Nafar.


My latest bit of crafting was helping my daughter to make a tooth fairy purse (from the usborne book- Fairy things to stitch and sew). She lost her first 2 teeth yesterday !! I put together a sewing kit for her for Christmas, and this is the first time she's used it. However, she did insist on sewing some bells on, good job she's a very heavy sleeper!!


My last bit of news is I just found out I have been accepted to have a stall at the Woolfest in summer. I'm very excited, I am already working on designs for new knit to shrink projects. I will be selling craft kits - felting, silk paper making and knitting.

2 comments:

artyfartykat said...

Congrats on your stall acceptance!
I love your daughters tooth fairy purse. Shes obviously inherited her mums creative talents!

Anonymous said...

Your linocutting puts mine to shame, how on earth do you get those lines so straight.