Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Birthday Present

About a year ago I bought a Japanese craft book that had some felt cakes and pastries in. They are so cute and I have been wanting to have a go at making some for my daughter for ages. Now seems as good a time as any with a birthday looming up. Well, as I never like to make life easy for myself I thought I'd design my own (rather than follow the book?). I searched flickr for cupcakes, and found a wealth of photographs to inspire, here are some of my favourites:
Don't they look delicious!! Using these and some other photographs as a starting point, I have been working on a variety of prototypes. Here are a few:


You will not believe how many bun cases I have knitted in my pursuit of the perfect cupcake. I've tried 1x1 rib, 2x1 rib, frilled edges, plain edges and many more. Nearly there now, just got to work on the icing. When I have figured out my perfect cupcake I will share the pattern here with you. In the meantime, my daughter will have so many prototypes, she could open a cake shop.

P.S. I haven't forgotten the felted flower tutorial I promised, I'm halfway through the instructions, and hope to get it posted soon.

1 comment:

artyfartykat said...

They certainly look good enough to eat!
When I was little, I would have loved some "cakes" to play shop with! Your daughter is a lucky little girl!!